Error in documentation about SAXIS

Problems running VASP, runtime errors, technical questions.
Please check whether the answer to your question is given in
the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum
previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

Error in documentation about SAXIS

Postby qiaojunfeng » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:38 am

Hello everyone, I'm currently involved in calculation of magnetic properties. When reading the documentation, I found VASP provide SAXIS-tag to control the magnetization direction, in documentation on page 124. However, after carefully inspection, I found there are some mistakes in the equations at the bottom of page 124.
For example, the definition of alpha should be the angle of the projection of (s_x, s_y, s_z) to Oxy plane and the cartesian vector x, beta should = atan(sqrt(s_x^2 + s_y^2)/s_z).
And actually, when I inverse the simultaneous equations between m_x, m_y, m_z and m_x^axis, m_y^axis, m_z^axis, I found the first equation on top of page 125 should be
m_x^axis = cos(beta)cos(alpha)m_x + cos(beta)sin(alpha)m_y - sin(beta)m_z, it should be minus sign before m_z.

So, could administrators correct mistakes in SAXIS tag and update the VASP manual?
In addition, does anyone has some materials about why the simultaneous equations between m_x, m_y, m_z and m_x^axis, m_y^axis, m_z^axis should look like these? Could someone provides me the mathematical derivation?

I appreciate all kinds of hints and materials, it will helps me a lot, Thank you!
qiaojunfeng

Re: Error in documentation about SAXIS

Postby admin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Thank you, the manual will be corrected.
The code itself is OK.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Bugreports